It’s the news everyone’s been waiting for, as the 16 finalists competing in this year’s National Pizza Awards are revealed.
Pizza pros from street food stalls, pubs and restaurants all around the country have made the list.
Returning to Islington Metal Works, London, on 7 November, the National Pizza Awards final will see chefs recreate the pizza they entered the competition with, looking to win the National Pizza of the Year title and the £1,000 prize that comes with it.
Rather excitingly, the 2019 final sees last year’s winner return to defend their crown. ‘Parmigiana Party’, created by Filippo Rosato from Purezza, featured smoked vegan mozzarella, fried aubergine, crumbled soya sausage, basil and nutritional yeast – it was the first vegan pizza to win the National Pizza Awards.
This year’s 16 chefs will also take part in a Technical Round that will see them create a pizza using ingredients supplied by the event’s sponsors.
National Pizza Awards 2019 finalists
• Crust Bros, London – The Full Bro
• Wandercrust Pizza, London – American Psycho
• Dough Pizzeria Ltd, Edinburgh – Lombardoveneto
• Rudy’s, Manchester – Pizza Battipaglia
• Bath Pizza Co, Bath – Zucchine Sole
• Cold Town House, Edinburgh – Leith Pizza
• Purezza, Brighton – Here Comes Truffle
• Pizza Repubblica, Leeds – Star Repubblica
• Gusto Italian, Knutsford – The Fico
• Foundry Project Manchester – Spicy Chicken and Chorizo
• Elliott’s Craft Pizza & Grill, Halifax – NYC Classico
• Zerodegrees, Bristol – Parmigiana
• Oakman Inns & Restaurants, Tring – Napoli Forte
• Ciliegino, Cardiff – Margherita Dop
• Saint, London – Calabria
• Pizzaface, Brighton – Jakub